Help

Discussion: Top rope clean shouldn't be equivalent to any failed attempt as 'other'

• Started: 7 months ago on Tue 19th Sep 2023

Public discussion This is a public discussion in Release forum.

Trevor Kettlewell started this discussion 7 months ago.

Top rope clean shouldn't be equivalent to any failed attempt as 'other'

Sorry if this isn't the place to raise suggestions - I couldn't see anywhere else. Also sorry if it's already been raised - I couldn't see any option to search forums to avoid such repetition.

Love your work, been a paid up member for years, you keep improving an already wonderful site, you rock etc.

...but (you knew there'd be a 'but')...

Can I raise/suggest that the grade pyramid (also visually in the CPR timeline) be improved by not grouping 'Top Rope Clean' with any working or failed attempts?

I know lead climbing is the default for sport, but getting a top rope climb clean is way different to falling off it half a dozen times, or resting between each move, or abandoning it half-way up - but it's grouped as the same 'other' category.

Even pink points get their own special category and colour, but I'd suggest in most climbs getting a pink-point is way closer to getting a redpoint, and most climbers don't even bother to distinguish in recording ascents above 20 or so anyway (and lots not even below).

Could I suggest another colour/category for 'top-rope' clean (maybe yellow?) to better recognise this way more significant (than red/pink) distinction?

I've got all the respect in the world for the majority of people I climb with who pretty much only lead, it's part of their whole relationship with climbing. More power to them!! They more just top-rope as a means to an end occasionally, working a move or a route before getting it 'properly'. For them top-roping is just 'other' - equivalent to a rest/failed attempt. I lead sometimes, and would like to be more consistently comfortable with it. I know there's pleasure to be had in pushing into a sense of greater risk, overcoming fear, knowing where the risk is actually tiny anyway...

But most of the time what I enjoy most about climbing is making the moves, and I don't really get the buzz others do about simultaneously managing fear. I love climbing with total focus on the wall, while not managing any worry (even unjustified worry). It's just a a difference in what you like - so why not "It's not for me, but, sure, if top-rope is your thing, more power to you."?

I know I'm a bit weird and a wuss, but I own that and love top-roping, leading not so much. I 'd love the crag to continue to recognise a clean top rope ascent is not a lead, but to better recognise that it's also not a fail, rest, fall or attempt. For me some of my biggest achievements have been projecting a climb on top-rope over months, and finally getting it clean - but this for the crag is the same as all my failed attempts.

replied 5 months ago.

I agree! In my point of view top roping should be used to draw the piramid such as lead climbing. Like my girlfriend the only climb at top rope, and can't enjoy the site beacuse for thecrag she "does not climb".

Showing all 2 messages.

You are not part of this discussion.