Guidebooks
Help

Discussion: Map filtering

• Started: 3 years ago on Thu 10th Dec 2020

Public discussion This is a public discussion in World.

Wojjy started this discussion 3 years ago.

Map filtering

Hello everyone, is there a way I can do a map search (for region or area) and filter for eg boulder problems only? Additionally can I somehow sort by popularity?

Thanks.

replied 3 years ago.

Hi Wojjy filtering for maps is high on our prio list - but not available at the moment.

Jef Van Alsenoy replied 3 years ago.

Would be awesome to have, I look forward to the day. Like the old climbing trip feature that would ake thecrag the number one site for planning a trip.

Lenka Římská replied about a year ago.

Filtering by style and grade range would be awesome. E.g. one would specify sport climbing and a range of grades and only crags with routes in that range would be shown on the map.

replied about a year ago.

Indeed - it would be nice to be able to filter out artificial (buildering) lines as well, as they dilute the big picture in some parts of the world (i.e. Netherlands and around)

Danny van Bruggen replied about a year ago.

... and leave out the closed and/or illegal locations by default. Nicky is there a github issue for this? I couldn't find one.

Sviatoslav Saviak replied about a year ago.

There is one https://github.com/theCrag/website/issues/3677, if this is what you are referring to.

replied 7 months ago.

Has there been any progress on this issue?

Tomas Benders replied 6 months ago.

Would very much value this feature!

Arek Lipinski replied 6 months ago.

Aren't boulders marked as a red circle on the map? 27 crags has more boulder topos if u seek them

replied 6 months ago.

Arek Lipinski, the request is for a map with only boulder problems. Or whatever other filter one is interested in.

replied 6 months ago.

This would be particularly useful for less common things like say ice climbing or DWS. Unless you already know where to look and zoom in, You will never see those among the others since they are so few.

I've also wanted to search for multi-pitches on the map before. Right now this is a pretty tedious process.

replied 6 months ago.

You all do know that all of this is already possible by filtering the routes by style, so no problem looking for all Ice Routes in Erzgebirge or DWS in Tenerife for example.

Sviatoslav Saviak replied 6 months ago.

Using a map is better in most cases (for example there is a range of locations you could go to and you want to evaluate which fits you better quickly)

replied 6 months ago.

Stefan, yes, I know those filters exist and I use them regularly. What I'd like to see is those results displayed on a map.

As Sviatoslav Saviak says, maps can be much faster to digest. This is especially true in an unfamiliar area, where I won't recognize many of the names in the list.

Raphi replied 9 weeks ago.

It also would be very cool to be able to filter by grade, since I'm looking for crags with many routes below 6a. Everytime I click on a region only to be disappointed when I see, there is only hard climbing.

Mark Gamble replied 9 weeks ago.

Isn't that what the colour bar is supposed to show at any given crag?

Raphi replied 9 weeks ago.

It does not show on the map though. I have to load the crag page, to look at that.

Simon replied 8 weeks ago.

I tried looking through the API a while back to see if I could make an app or something that would do this and the answer I came to was I can see why it's not a feature currently. With the way the database is structured it seems like a complicated one to implement so I can see why it might take a while.

+1 for filtered maps though, being able to look across the world to see where the trad climbs in my grade range are would be a dream.

replied 27 days ago.

a first version of map filtering is available for beta testing:

https://www.thecrag.com/article/supporterbenefits#betamapsfilter

replied 27 days ago.

Nice to see some progress here, works very well.

Any chance on making list-entries displayable on the map? For Example I have a list "Climbing classics in $foo" and would like to display just them on the map.

replied 27 days ago.

Nicky, this is nice! I'm looking forward to using it this season.

Are there plans to integrate it with other route searches & filters?

Showing all 23 messages.

You are not part of this discussion.